[lbo-talk] RE: Abstinence

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sat Mar 13 13:34:04 PST 2004

"NEW YORK (AFP) - A policy of abstinence-only sex education for American teenagers, endorsed by Church groups and the White House, has almost no effect on the prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases (STD), according to a new study.

The federal study found that most teenagers who pledged to abstain from sex before marriage not only broke their vows, but also recorded the same STD transmission rate as non-pledgers."

Isn't this great news!!! In my corner of the world,the news was published under the headline "Abstinence Results So So" -- So So???? 88% failure??? I'd call it a complete disaster.

I always love it when hormones/reality/humanity beats ideology.

Joanna