[lbo-talk] the cult of Putinism

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 14 10:56:19 PST 2004

Hi Chris, you said

> I've noticed a tendency among UK writers to treat the USSR as if it was
the British Empire. "We pulled out of India; why
> can't Russia pull out of Georgia?" Reason: INDIA DID NOT BORDER BRITAIN.

Britain is still extricating itself from Ireland; there is a historical lesson there.

A capitalist class, whether it's 19th C. Brits, or 21st C. Brits, Russians, Australians, Brazilians or whoever, will use whatever excuses it has at hand, to justify using the state to protect its investments (present or future). The so-called "national interest" is a good old standby.

Their accumulation is our loss, paid for in the blood of subject peoples and soldiers/cops.

Grant.