[lbo-talk] one in nine Americans have seen The Passion

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Mar 14 11:29:35 PST 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> <http://www.gallup.com/content/?ci=10963>
>
> March 12, 2004
> Passion Viewers Passionate About the Movie
> Three in four Americans have seen or expect to see it

This subtitle is inaccurate. Three in four Americans seeing a movie would be an unprecedented societal phenemonon. This is just a bogus claim, because the survey itself claims that perhaps 34% of Americans *might* see the movie. That would add up to roughly $600 million in sales.

I find it hard to believe that this movie will have the staying power that Titanic had. Even the biggest blockbuster movie isn't seen by a majority of Americans. And these numbers are just misleading because movie admission prices are just so high these days.

As usual, the idiots who made a big deal over this movie only helped it generate publicity.

Chuck0