[lbo-talk] El Salvador Elections emergency

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Mar 14 16:14:54 PST 2004

[Gar Lipow asked me to forward this.]

============= In the upcoming El Salvador elections Salvadoran immigration officials are detaining and in some case deporting foreign election observers. (This is contrary to clauses in the constitution of El Salvador.) There is no reason for this unless the current right wing government plans on massive fraud. (The left is expected to win there.) Given El Salvador's dependence on international trade and aid, there is no way they would do this without at least tacit U.S. consent.

For various reasons (the upcoming U.S. election, recent discoveries by the administration that the U.S. does , after all, need the rest of world) the U.S. government is more vulnerable to popular pressure than it has been a while - not a lot, but a non-zero number. So please:

. Call the U.S. Embassy in El Salvador - over the weekend, call 011-503-234-2316, on weekdays call Annie Pforzheimer, the Counselor for Political Affairs at (011) 503-278-4444 > x2025 - and: · Demand that the U.S. Embassy call the Salvadoran Ministry of Government (Ministerio de Gobernación) to insist that they allow all international observers into the country. · Insist that the U.S. Embassy pressure the head of the Immigration Department to respect El Salvador's electoral code which guarantees international observers the right to receive a visa of entry to the country as well as freedom of circulation and mobility. · Express concern for the many detained U.S. citizens and their access to human rights officials and lawyers. . Don't accept "concern" as sufficient response. Emphasize (politely please) that no one believes the Salvadoran government will do this if the U.S. is seriously interested in stopping it - that the U.S. is fully responsble for any human rights violations or electoral fraud it allows in this election. .Call your Congresscritter and Senators and ask them to pressure the Whitehouse, State Department and U.S. Embassy

Additional information can be obtained from Cispes http://www.cispes.org/

Below is the full alert. Last I heard the number of detainees was up to 80.