[lbo-talk] Booing Manning Marable/the long ascent

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 15 14:44:54 PST 2004

the long ascent... written in 2000 - still hold true (to me):-

http://www.tompaine.com/feature2.cfm/ID/3376

....Therein lies the problem of Nader's candidacy. Even those to whom his message is most relevant are not sure whether to "throw away" their votes on him. That problem persists, however, only under two assumptions -- that Bush is much worse than Gore, and that a vote for Nader is trivial. Perhaps those in the "sewage" of America have been up to their ears in it for so long because the two-party system inhibits real change. And while a Bush administration may mean four more years of trouble, a Gore administration might usher in four more years of promises unfulfilled, conservatives masquerading in Democratic disguises, and increasing frustration.

The conundrum of the 2000 campaign nevertheless exists: For those with the most to lose, to those who need robust health care, social security, and child-care to survive, a vote for Nader may be too much to risk. It is painfully obvious that a vote for him could help elect Bush. So goes the logic, and it is difficult to disprove. But while Americans -- and especially the most marginalized of voters -- often vote their fears, every once in a while a small miracle might occur in the voting booth, and more than a few people vote their hopes. While the legitimate fear is that a vote against Gore will submerge those in America's "sewage" ever deeper, Nader represents the best hope of beginning the long ascent out of it.