[lbo-talk] The Importance of Choice

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 16 15:08:37 PST 2004

>[lbo-talk] Re: The Importance of Choice
>Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com, Tue Mar 16 10:22:29 PST 2004
<snip>
>>Michael Dawson -PSU wrote:
>>>Carrol Cox:
>>>wherever and whenever we find "ourselves," we are always already
>>>involved in action, i.e., in an ensemble of social relations apart
>>>from which we have no existence at all.... I very much doubt that
>>>any of the primates can be individuals, and the concept of a human
>>>being an individual is obscene
>>
>>These two claims require no response. They reveal the quality of
>>mind of their author, who defines virtually everybody alive on
>>today's Earth as a practicer of obscenity.
>>
>>Carrol = Louis Althusser who writes better and is more honest.
>
>Yoshie got annoyed when I suggested this sort of thing is a
>depressive symptom, but the more I think about it, the more
>persuasive it seems. Depressives are haunted by feelings of guilt
>and/or emptiness, feel that taking action is hopeless, and often
>advertise their sense of helplessness and self-reproach at high
>volume. What I see here is that depressive constellation
>masquerading as a political philosophy.
>
>Doug

Let's say, for the sake of an argument, that the opinion of a person who philosophically discounts "a very Eden of the innate rights of man," where "alone rule Freedom, Equality, Property and Bentham" (at <http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/ch06.htm>), is a symptom of clinical depression, rather than a piece of political philosophy. In that case, it is a biologically determinist argument against thinking of an individual as an uncaused cause, which deflates "the Importance of Choice" in the subject line.

It is said that "[e]very year more than 19 million American Adults suffer from clinical depression" (at <http://www.nmha.org/ccd/index.cfm>) and that "[t]he National Comorbidity Study, a large survey of adults in the United States released last year, found that 1.7 women for every man had experienced at least one episode of depression" (at <http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/16/health/psychology/16DEPR.html>). Are those 19 million clinically depressed Americans historical materialists in the closet? Are women more likely to be in favor of Althusser's philosophy than men? :-> -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>