[lbo-talk] Lehrer freaks out on Parenti

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Mar 17 07:14:17 PST 2004

Jim Lehrer has long been a state/corp hack, and a touchy one at that. Back when FAIR released its report on the fabled "balance" on MacNeil/Lehrer (tilted to the right -- the proper "balance"), Lehrer apparently went nuts in private. I was at a party with some MacNeil/Lehrer staff members, and they told me how much the FAIR report upset and hurt Lehrer. "Good," I replied. "Now he knows how the rest of us feel when we watch your show." About a week later, Lehrer sent a nasty note to Jeff Cohen (then FAIR's director), and the tone was akin to a spoiled girl who didn't get a pony for her birthday. So, good for Christian Parenti. Nice to know that some things never change.

DP