[lbo-talk] Re: " Race " in Russia

Art McGee amcgee at angryblackman.org
Wed Mar 17 09:36:07 PST 2004

I agree 100% with everything you said in the article about Russia. I wasn't disputing any of that. It was a great article and very insightful.

What I was arguing is the case *against* American exceptionalism. I don't believe that the United States is really that much different from the rest of the world in terms of how hatred and conflict arises. The only difference in the U.S. is that certain types of conflicts get labeled as being "racial" when in fact they are not, or rather, that the conflict over "race" is really an ideological, political, cultural, and economic struggle, just like it is in Russia. The only difference is that in Russia, they have until recently NOT made the MISTAKE of using the term "race."

So, what I'm saying is that in the United States, people don't hate "Black" people, but they do hate Black culture, Black political ideologies, Black economic competition, Black religions, etc. I think we're on the same page.

Art