[lbo-talk] Prince gives up on sex

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 17 10:29:56 PST 2004

New York Post [Page Six] - March 17, 2004

IS PRINCE LOSING FAITH IN SEX?

PRINCE refused to sing some of his sexy classics at Monday night's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame gala at the Waldorf Astoria because of his deepening religious faith.

"The producers of the event wanted Prince to sing 'Cream' and 'Sexy Motherf- - - -r.' But because he is now such a devout Jehovah's Witness, he refused," said one music industry insider.

A rep for Prince, who converted to the religion several years ago, declined comment, but a pal of the superstar said: "Prince feels he has closed that overtly sexual chapter in his life."

Prince - who was inducted into the hall along with Z.Z. Top, Traffic, Bob Seger, Jackson Browne and the Dells - did perform "Lets Go Crazy," "Sign of the Times" and "Kiss" before such stars as Alicia Keys, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen, Yoko Ono, Dave Matthews, Kid Rock, John Mellencamp and George Clinton.

Then, Prince told the crowd: "I embarked on a journey more fascinating than I could ever imagine, but a word to the wise to the young artists without spiritual guidance. Too much freedom can lead to spiritual decline."

While some in the audience were disappointed by Prince's song selection, one insider noted, "It's what's going on in the music industry right now.

"Everyone in the crowd was talking about MTV and the new conservatism over there," explained our source.

"They were burned so badly by Janet Jackson's Nipplegate at the Super Bowl that they have gone overboard. Everyone was in shock about what MTV did to Fountains of Wayne's new video."

The rock band recently submitted a video for a new song, "Mexican Wine," which featured a 10-year-old girl introducing the group on the video.

"MTV declined to play the video because the 10-year-old girl was saying the word 'wine,' " our source laughed.

A rep for MTV said: "We did ask Fountains of Wayne to make edits to their [original] video and now it's in rotation." The new video does not feature the little girl.

Even Britney Spears is editing herself in hopes to get airtime on the music video channel. Spears, whose next video is directed by David LaChappelle - known for his raunchy and racy photography - has cut out a scene which featured her suicide.