[lbo-talk] Re: Forcing Political Change

mitchelcohen at mindspring.com mitchelcohen at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 17 15:16:26 PST 2004

Art McGee wrote:

>Yes, we need a third (and fourth, fifth, sixth, etc.) party. A strong party will not emerge in a fucking vacuum, but only as a by-product of a movement. The Green approach, of grandstanding in Presidential elections while ignoring the need for grassroots work the other 364 days of the year, is not going to build that party.<

Of course that would be the consequence if what you say about the Greens is true. But it's not. There are Green locals all over the country working 24/7 on grassroots issues: shutting down incinerators, fighting against genetic engineering of crops, against mass spraying of pesticides (that cause asthma, cancer, etc.), against US imperialism and warfare, for renewable energy, reduction in waste production, for freedom for Peltier, Mumia, and all political prisoners, against the Drug Laws and Prison Industrial Complex, and so forth.

Perhaps your experiences with the Greens are different than mine, with the Brooklyn Greens local and GPUSA. I'd like to hear (I'm serious, not being rhetorical) about the work you do with your Green local, or have been kept from doing by it.

Thanks.

Mitchel