[lbo-talk] Reagan, Arms Race and Collapse of Soviet Union

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Mar 18 09:44:39 PST 2004

Alexandre Fenelon wrote:

> Quoting Segrillo again, the highers levels of quality demanded by the
> military factories led to an overall improvement in machine tools and
> metallurgy in the USSR as a whole from 30´s to 70´s.

I think there were complaints about the quality of consumer goods. Castro once said in an interview with an Indian jounalist that the Soviets could send spacecrafts to the moon, but couldn't produce good quality shoes ! Btw, is there an English translation of Segrillo?

> I can see now why the issue of agriculture in the WTO negotiations is
> important to Brazil.

> -A typical case of political blindness....

In what way?

> -To what extent you still have feudal remnants in India?

Not many, but that's my view. It's a controversial subject. Indian Maoists think India is semi-feudal/semi-colonial etc. But they simply apply Chinese schemas. They believed India was a semi-colony of the Soviet Social Imperialism ! They even had a slogan for a time: "China's Chairman is our Chairman.!" You can judge for yourself, the quality of some of our vanguards.

>The relatisnship
> with imperialism is somewhat more complex, and I really don´t know how to
> deal with it in a country like India

If I were to explain in a schematic manner, I could say that it was US, China and Pakistan on one side against the fSU and India on the other for much of the Cold War period in my part of the world.

>the question of imperialism is still
> relevant in my country, where the economy suffered a massive denationali
> zation in the last 10 years and where the USA still have considerable
> influence over domestic policies)

People talk about the decline of the US. It may be true in some epochal sense, but my experience is just the opposite.

Ulhas