[lbo-talk] Coming back to the list with... historical ephemera, or something

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Thu Mar 18 17:32:16 PST 2004

> Didn't Raymond Williams write a critique of The Snitch/Puffed-Up Overrated
> One?

I know Hitchens on Williams on Orwell, I should really go and find the original Williams piece.

> Is there anyone above the age of 10 who takes "Animal Farm" -- or anyone
> above the age of 14 who takes "1984" -- at all seriously?

Yes. Of course. That's partly because they're such highschool staples - like Romeo and Juliet, texts that have just fossilised into the highschool English curriculum so effectively that no one thinks much about why they're there any more. But even without that plenty of people take them seriously, especially 1984.

Catherine

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/