[lbo-talk] Orwell

BrownBingb at aol.com BrownBingb at aol.com
Thu Mar 18 22:21:53 PST 2004

Yes I know about the redlist and in fact it's that and the Hitchens book that

have had me talking about this.

Is he useful? There are some useful things I suppose, but the useful things seem of their time rather than this one, and there are plenty of things that bother me.

Thanks, Catherine

^^^^

I agree about the concreteness. It was sort of interesting when Reagan or someone ( maybe in 1984) named a nuclear missile a "peacemaker" , and terrorist oppressors, "freedom fighters".

Oh, I know. I have this little whatever on how Orwell fictionalized totalitarianism as Big Brother watching us, but actually , through the institution of television, US totalitarianism mindbinds us by having us watching Big Brother, like a Cyclops idol. Maybe Orwell is aesthetically more pleasing (?) and correspondent to reality if we reverse, invert, and pervert his verse, particularly since he ended up in the service of Big Brother.

Charles -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20040319/3f4319d0/attachment.htm>