[lbo-talk] Re: Orwell

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 07:40:50 PST 2004

Raymond Williams wrote a strong attack on Orwell in a little book, and Isaac Deutscher has a brilliant essay critiquing 1984, or its misuses -- it's collected variously, I think in a still-in-print Verso anthology of his work. For what it is worth, I personally always thought (a) that Orwell is generally a wonderful writer and (rather crankily) One Of Us; (b) Animal Farm is heavy handed, obvious, overrated, and now dated and obsolete (though with a nice touch, about some animals being more equal than others), but (c) 1984 is a great book, and cannot be dismissed as a mere anti-Communist screed. There is just too much of it that rings too true for us. Newspeak. Doublethink. Miniluv, etc. jks