[lbo-talk] Doug Henwood's Critique of Gary Null

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Mar 19 08:49:16 PST 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I'd like to see rigorous trials of
> alternative therapies, but as far as I know, there have been very
> few. Am I wrong? And if I'm not wrong, why have there been so few
> trials?
>
> Doug

I think it's the stigma attached to these therapies: for many people (witness this thread), even considering the possibility that an alternative therapy is effective suggests that you're a goofy hippie. For somebody trying to get tenure/research grants/peer-reviewed publications, this is a pretty dangerous way to portray yourself.

I have faith in scientific practice, though: scientists are curious creatures, and they have this knack for putting aside common sense and following the data where they may lead. I think we'll see more rigorous research on a variety of nontraditional medical therapies, and in some cases, I think that data will demonstrate the efficacy of the therapies.

That said, it does appear that Gary Null is quite a wingnut.

Miles