[lbo-talk] Doug Henwood's Critique of Gary Null--Trails of alternative therpies

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Fri Mar 19 10:00:52 PST 2004

Doug wanted to know:

> I completely agree with this. I'd like to see rigorous trials of
> alternative therapies, but as far as I know, there have been very
> few. Am I wrong? And if I'm not wrong, why have there been so few
> trials?

I don't know much about it, but there's a part of the NIH devoted to clinical studies of alternative medicine called the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine:

http://nccam.nih.gov/

About page at:

http://nccam.nih.gov/about/aboutnccam/index.htm

A sponsored study: "Randomized Controlled Trial of Echinacea in Children"

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui/c/w2r/show/NCT00029211?order=2&JSer vSessionIdzone_ct=rd02fm5sc1

Curtiss, who doesn't put much stock in alternative medicine but tries to keep an open mind.