[lbo-talk] Re: Orwell

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Fri Mar 19 11:57:21 PST 2004

>Although I know this conversation has been circumnavigated saeveral
>times,
>could someone give me a direction to critiques of Orwell-as-
>Progressive/Left/YouKnow.
>Thanks
>Catherine (the weather here remains tolerable)

Tillie Olsen has a wonderful essay critically reflecting on _1984_ called "The Word Made Flesh" (1984)--all I have for a citation is that it's a H.W. Reninger Lecture, the 12th Annual--perhaps it's floating around on the web somewhere. She gently rebukes Orwell for "not taking into account the 'other' content of human history; his not seeing 'things as they are and therefore as they might also be.'"

Jenny Brown (the weather here remains gorgeous)