[lbo-talk] Re: Reply from NewsHour

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Mar 19 16:13:54 PST 2004

>We have no quarrel with what Christian Parenti said at the end of the
>segment in which he was interviewed. He was asked a question and
>appropriately gave us his answer. Our concern was with the lack of another
>view. We should have asked the other guest, Professor Juan Cole, for his
>reaction....
>
>Balance is one of our most important standards. It is a signature
>characteristic of the program.

>Les Crystal
>Executive Producer, NewsHour with Jim Lehrer

The problem was that both Parenti and Cole agreed with each other. Contrary to NewsHour policy this is not an uncommon occurrance, since `facts' are supposed to be reported more or less the same way despite the point of view. This is what occurred. Two guests agreed!

What the NewsHour commandant should regret is the temporary in-ability to supply the appropriate rightwing fascist spin on the `facts.' This is a well worn path, pioneered by the Nazis where every `fact' was negotiated as a matter of `opinion' and not a matter of shared observation.

Seig Heil!

Chuck Grimes