[lbo-talk] Chomsky, Nader, & the Green Party (March 20, 2004, Columbus, OH)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Mar 20 13:29:54 PST 2004

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com, Sat Mar 20 09:06:54 PST 2004, March 20, 2004, Columbus, OH: <snip>

I looked into the article "Chomsky Backs 'Bush-lite' Kerry" (Matthew Tempest, March 20, 2004, <http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1174017,00.html>), but Chomsky simply advocates for voting for Kerry, unlike the Anybody But Bush pundits who vilify Ralph Nader and the Green Party. Given his position on political freedom, I doubt that Chomsky will ever join the anti-Nader/Green crusade. That's the difference that I referred to in the sentence that you quote above: it's one thing to say, "Vote for Kerry"; it's another thing to say, "Don't dare to compete with Kerry, or else" -- e.g., Jon Johanning, "If they get enough votes to put Bush back in, they will be absolutely blackballed and non-cooperated-with by the rest of the U.S." (at <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20040315/005923.html>). Unfortunately for the poor ABB pundits, however, they have no cultural hegemony over "the rest of the U.S." and no power to "blackball" anyone. :-> -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>