[lbo-talk] Chomsky, Nader, & the Green Party

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun Mar 21 19:01:27 PST 2004

> Well, Chomsky claims, "My feeling is pretty much the way it was in the
year
> 2000. I admire Ralph Nader and Denis Kucinich very much, and insofar as
they
> bring up issues and carry out an educational and organisational function -
> that's important, and fine, and I support it." But I'm pretty sure that
he
> voted for Nader in '00 because Mass was a "safe" state, and I don't think
he
> ever unambiguously urged others in contested states to vote for Gore.
>
> -- Luke

This is true. On Nov. 6, 2000, I posted an email here from Chomsky:

Dennis,

I agree with you. I'm lucky. In Mass, no dilemmas. But the questions I think are real. Bush himself seems to be a total vacuum, but the people around him are frightening. I think it would be an uglier and more dangerous world if they come close to power. On the other hand, a strong Nader vote might encourage an active opposition no matter who is carrying out crimes in the Oval Office. Hard to assess, I think.

Noam I also posted a couple from Hitchens. He urged me to vote Nader even if it resulted in a Bush win -- whom he preferred over Gore, if it came to that. And it did.

DP