[lbo-talk] French history

Chris Brooke chris.brooke at magdalen.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Mar 22 07:19:09 PST 2004

Jared,

Eric Hobsbawm's "Echoes of the Marseillaise" might be a good place to start: it's his highly readable and very interesting review of the historiography of the Revolution, which he wrote in order to resist the Simon Schama / Francois Furet anti-Marxist revisionism associated with the bicentennaire, and will give you lots of pointers towards other literature you might enjoy.

And, for what it's worth, I agree with Justin: Tocqueville on France is superb, and sets the benchmark for just about everything that comes later.

Chris