[lbo-talk] Re: we had opportunities...

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Mon Mar 22 08:04:06 PST 2004

At 02:47 PM 3/21/2004, John Thornton wrote:
>When I wish to explain to him that a more "progressive" agenda is not the
>cause of his dissatisfaction but more likely a cure for what's wrong I
>will not be sharing the above statements with him. He may be offended to
>know that as a Nascar fan who watches Fox he does not qualify as a
>"genuinely intelligent person" to some self proclaimed progressives. I'm
>not certain this sort of thinking will help in winning more and more
>converts among the working class everyday.

I don't expect WDK will, either:

http://squawk.ca/lbo-talk/0302/1825.html From: W. Kiernan (wkiernan at ij.net) Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 21:21:00 EST

Mark Pavlick wrote:

> He's only telling the truth. You don't even have to leave

> lbo-talk to read condescending attitudes towards working people,

> including those he mentions who go on to become "cannon-fodder" .

Do you think working-class people don't read lbo-talk? I'm a construction worker and I've been subscribed to this list for four or five years at least.

OK, maybe I'm the one and only, the rest of y'all are hoity-toity innalecshural snobs - probably that's the case - but I'll tell you this: while nobody on the job site (excepting me) wants to come right out and say "Bush is a lying warmongering prick," on account of none of us care to be regarded as anti-patriotic, still it looks to me that the support for this proposed Iraq fiasco among us construction types is absolutely paper-thin.

I've never seen anything like it, there was more enthusiasm for invading Granada, for crying out loud. Everybody down here wants to know one thing: "where the Hell is Osama?" This despite a too-blatant pro-war advertising push coming down from the millionaire bastards who own the mass media that out-shouts anything I've seen back to the sixties. Even the biggest suckers aren't sporting "Attack Iraq!" bumper stickers on their pickup trucks.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net