[lbo-talk] activists & Nader

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 22 08:19:41 PST 2004

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com, Mon Mar 22 07:37:36 PST 2004:
>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>As far as Manning Marable is concerned, I believe that there is a
>>chance that he will come back to Third-Party organizing
>
>You have violated the list commandment against claiming that Ralph's
>candidacy has anything to do with Third Party organizing. He's done
>nothing to organize a third party, even when he was running under
>the banner of one, and this time he's rejected their nomination.

If the Green Party had decided to set the dates of the Green Party convention much sooner than June 23-28, 2004 and nominated Ralph Nader for its presidential candidate, Nader would have already accepted the nomination. The only reason why Nader is now running a campaign is that "it is not feasible within the difficult parameters of state and federal election laws to wait and see what the Green Party will do in June 2004. . . . The deadlines for obtaining ballot access in many states come due prior to, or around your convention's decision" (at <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20031229/000063.html>). Once the Green Party nominates Nader at its convention, Nader will accept the nomination and receive the party's ballot lines in 21 states and D.C.

You've already said that you consider your political work consists of analyzing economy and doing a radio show and that you don't want to be a party activist, organizer, or candidate because that "would compromise [your] credibility and risk destroying [your] brain" <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20040216/003885.html>. In short, you have and wish to have nothing to do with party building in general or building the Green Party in particular.

Unlike you, such Green Party organizers as Peter Camejo and Howie Hawkins have been trying to nominate Nader long before he declared his candidacy, and they are now working hard to ensure that the Green Party will nominate Nader at the convention. If you don't think that the Green Party should nominate Nader, you might have gotten involved in the Green Party and participated in the party's nomination process. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>