[lbo-talk] Fwd: Air America Radio begins soon

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 22 13:12:29 PST 2004

21 Mar 2004 Subject: LIBERAL TALKRADIO NETWORK TO LAUNCH MARCH 31

YAY! It's about time!!! Now all we'll need is a TV channel to match it!!!

LIBERAL TALKRADIO NETWORK TO LAUNCH MARCH 31 Wed Mar 10 2004

Air America Radio, a progressive talk radio network, announced today it will hit the airwaves on March 31st. "Air America Radio is launching in the top U.S. markets with leading talent that will provide compelling and entertaining programming on the radio, on satellite feeds, and on the web," said Mark Walsh, Chief Executive Officer of Air America Radio. „We aim to build an important new media franchise that delivers results.¾

The network¼s on-air personalities represent today¼s top political and popular satirists, commentators and activists. Comedian, and best selling author Al Franken, who was recently taken to court when Bill O¼Reilly and Fox News were seeking an injunction to halt distribution of "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right," and is known for fact-based, drug-free satire, will host a weekday show on the network called „The O¼Franken Factor.¾

„I¼m so happy that Air America Radio will be on in three battleground states, New York, Illinois and California - no wait - those aren¼t battleground states. What the hell are we doing?¾ said Franken.

Air America Radio has signed actress and comedienne Janeane Garofalo, hip hop icon Chuck D, radio personality Randi Rhodes, and political humorist Sam Seder to join Franken at the network. Environmental activist Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., „The Daily Show¾ co-creator Lizz Winstead, and business-of-the-media analyst on the public radio program „Marketplace¾ Martin Kaplan will also join the network.

The network has unveiled its current weekday and weekend line-up:

Monday-Friday Uprising: 6:00-9:00am

This is a fast paced morning show that will entertain and engage audiences with wit and political satire. It will feature the latest news, offering up to-the-minute interviews with newsmakers, analysis and strong opinions.

Host: Marc Maron Co-host: Sue Ellicott Co-host: Mark Riley

Unfiltered: 9:00am-12:00pm Air America¼s midmorning program is a showcase for conversation about the political and cultural state of the union. Unfiltered introduces listeners to fresh new voices not available in mainstream media today.

Co-host: Lizz Winstead Co-host: Chuck D Co-host: Laura Flanders

The O¼ Franken Factor: 12:00-3:00pm Relentless, pure satire, delivered by the leading political humorist of this generation. With his partner, longtime radio host Katherine Lanpher, this will be three hours of fearless barbs, sketches, and interviews with newsmakers and characters who have lived, up until now, only in Al¼s fertile imagination. He¼s no policy wonk, but this best-selling author and veteran of Saturday Night Live, is devoting his energy to fighting back against rightwing propaganda with hard evidence and facts.

Host: Al Franken Co-host: Katherine Lanpher Producer: Billy Kimball

The Randi Rhodes Show: 3:00-7:00pm

Randi Rhodes has spent the last 20 years burning up the airwaves in southern Florida with her pointed and provocative brand of talk radio. Combining live interview, call-in and commentary, Randi engages her audience with a passionate presentation.

Host: Randi Rhodes

So What Else Is News? : 7:00-8:00pm Based in Los Angeles, this is a one-hour program showcasing the intersection of politics, media and popular culture. This program will feature analysis and reports from the presidential campaign, as well as a daily reporters¼ roundtable on how the news of the day is affected and reflected by the media. Marty will also cover the spinning of the news with a regular segment called „The Corrections.¾ This is also the place to hear the political voice of Hollywood, with celebrity guest interviews from the entertainment industries.

Host: Marty Kaplan

The Majority Report: 8:00pm-11:00pm

This program will introduce new, younger voices and opinions, with live guests from the world of politics, the arts and entertainment.

Host: Janeane Garofalo Co-host: Sam Seder

Saturday and Sunday

Air America Radio¼s weekend line-up will offer more original programming, like Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and Mike Papatanio¼s „Champions of Justice,¾ a program that brings a fresh and entertaining perspective to talk radio from the top legal and social issues focused minds in the country. Additional programming will include Best-of Air America Radio and Best-of-O¼Franken Factor as well as other original programming to be announced soon.

„Air America Radio will be available immediately in top markets across the country, and our distribution channels will continue to expand in the coming months via affiliation agreements with partner stations across the land,¾ said Air America Radio President Jon Sinton. Air America Radio will debut its programming on radio stations: WLIB (AM 1190am) in New York <www.wlib.com> streams WNTD (AM 950) in Chicago <no site> KBLA (AM 1580) in Los Angeles <no site> a station in San Francisco to be named before launch.

Air America Radio¼s partnership with WLIB owner, Inner City Broadcasting Corporation, is a complementary agreement that builds on the goals of each organization ‚ to bring new energy and new immediacy to messages, issues and audiences that deserve a place in today¼s media marketplace.

„We are excited about the diverse and important voices Air America Radio is bringing to the airwaves, both on our own WLIB signal and others,¾ said Pierre Sutton, Chairman of ICBC. „This strategic partnership allows both companies to combine our resources and deliver relevant messages to a broad and diverse audience. Our talented Mark Riley joins new and exciting co-hosts throughout the broadcast day in multiple major markets to open the airwaves to opinions and entertaining commentary that Americans can hear nowhere else.¾

Live streaming of Air America Radio shows, along with show archives, will be available on www.airamericaradio.com <http://www.airamericaradio.com>

Air America Radio is in negotiations with satellite television and satellite radio providers. These national services will allow potential listeners to tune in anywhere in the country. The details of these partnerships will be unveiled soon.

„Our success to date proves what we have known all along: a progressive radio network can be entertaining and engaging while also being a successful business venture. We have made a lot of progress - and more is to come. We expect to deliver valuable listeners to our advertising partners,¾ said Evan Cohen, New York-based investor and Chairman of the board of Air America Radio.