[lbo-talk] Evil Bible!

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 22 12:49:39 PST 2004

Doug posted:

<http://www.evilbible.com/>

Welcome to the Evil Bible.com Web Site

This web site is designed to spread the vicious truth about the Bible. For far too long priests and preachers have completely ignored the vicious criminal acts that the Bible promotes. The so called "God" of the Bible makes Osama Bin Laden look like a Boy Scout.

This "God", according to the Bible, is directly responsible for many mass-murders, rapes, pillage, plunder, slavery, child abuse and killing, not to mention the killing of unborn children.

=========

Strangely enough, this takes me back to my childhood.

I knew my career as a bright and obedient Sunday-school student had come to an end when, one Sunday morning, I asked our perky teacher why it was alright for the Isrealites to wage merciless war on the Canaanites.

"Because God promised the land of Canaan to the Hebrews" was the unsatisfying reply. I asked a follow-up question, signaling my break with polite, well-mannered boyhood: "yes, but what did the Canaanites DO to deserve war?"

"They were un-believers and pagans" she said. "Yes but..." I began but she raised her well-manicured hand to let me know question and answer time was over.

My break with the church, and later, Christianity altogether began just this way -- by questioning the relentless aggression, stamped with the divine seal of approval, depicted in the Old Testament.

I've long believed (and it's probably not my thought at all but the remembered opinion of some scholar) the Old Testament is the tribal war chronicle of people living only a few moments, so to speak, after we became truly human whereas the New Testament is the much more complex and cosmopolitan product of humanity's agriculture and city-state -- regional empire phase.

The two collections of books scarcely belong together.

DRM