[lbo-talk] Evil Bible!

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Mon Mar 22 14:49:08 PST 2004

>> I've long believed (and it's probably not my thought
>> at all but the remembered opinion of some scholar) the
>> Old Testament is the tribal war chronicle of people
>> living only a few moments, so to speak, after we
>> became truly human whereas the New Testament is the
>> much more complex and cosmopolitan product of
>> humanity's agriculture and city-state -- regional
>> empire phase.
>> The two collections of books scarcely belong together.
> But fundies really love the OT, don't they? The brutal, vengeful,
> judgmental stuff, which is at odds with JC's turn the other cheek
> wussiness.

Data point: the so-called Christian Reconstructionists believe that the New Testament inaugurates not a new law, but a new chosen people: instead of the tribes of Israel, the chosen of God are the followers of Jesus. OT law is still in full force.

Reconstructionism isn't a sect, but a movement across various fundamentalist denominations. More than that I don't know off the top of my head. The blogger David Neiwert (orcinus.blogspot.com) has written about them; IIRC, he linked to something Chip Bertlet (or the people he works for/with) had written. Is Chip still in the room? (and have I spelled his last name right? shame, shame shame...)

Curtiss