[lbo-talk] RE: Evil Bible

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 22 18:29:42 PST 2004

I think the hatred and contempt of the body is a Manichean theme that crops up in Christianity whenever it becomes "spiritualized" and is just as frequently ushered out. (The struggle is apparent in e.g. Augustine.) But the central Christian doctrine is the resurrection of the body. The "immortality of the soul," beloved by fundies, is not mentioned in the early creeds. --CGE