[lbo-talk] Evil Bible!

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Mon Mar 22 18:57:12 PST 2004

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Fisher

> A lot of what I do with my students is to problematize their readings of
these texts (especially staples like the first three chapters of genesis), but there's a lot in there (including those first three chapters of genesis) that's quite powerful.

** I have them compare Genesis 1 and 2, and observe that the "creators" in both narratives are different. Then I hand them the story of Noah's ark. You'll notice that if you read the account from beginning to end it makes no sense whatsoever. The number of animals change, the time when Noah enters the ark is different in each of the two times he enters the ark, the exist time is different.... everything is repeated twice, in the most awkward and painful way, and all in different order and sequence with a different reason attached. I then show them how to pull the two narratives apart and presto - if you've done it right then you end up with two totally self-sufficient stories about Noah, each of the narratives are stand-alone. Together it is mush, but apart they each form an independent textual tradition. A lot of the students, as far as I can tell, kind of like that trick. I do something similar with the Christian Scriptures, showing how Q can be derived from Matthew and Luke... I usually also introduce students to the changing narratives regarding Deborah and Jael.... which turns into Judith. Jael uses a tent peg to save the day.... Judith uses her sexuality followed by a sword.... is there a feminist hero here? The narrative has been re-written as a seduction scene.... interesting.

ken