[lbo-talk] outsourcing and furriners

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 23 06:49:43 PST 2004

When did the term "outsourcing" come to refer exclusively to outsourcing jobs out of the country? I thought it was a general term for the corporate practice of moving functions from in-house to outside firms. Basically, I thought it was a synonym for subcontracting, a money-saving measure for a company that was generally not good for workers, whether it was done outside the country or in. Lately, given telecommunications outsourcing to India, it has acquired the connotation of moving jobs outside the country, but it seems that that has not always been the case. Am I wrong?

- - - - - John Lacny

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!