[lbo-talk] Emma v Ralph

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Mar 23 07:27:38 PST 2004

> >"It is essential that we realize once and for all that man is much
> >more of a sex creature than a moral creature. The former is inherent,
> >the other is grafted on." -- Emma Goldman

As much as I like Goldman (her two-volume autobio is must reading), I cannot go along with this morality grafting biz. Are kindness, sympathy, empathy, forgiveness and love merely electro-magnetic impulses, or artificial constructs that we "graft" on to our true brutal selves? Watching my two kids grow, I'd have to say no.

DP