[lbo-talk] Corporate Porn to Kids

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Tue Mar 23 09:59:32 PST 2004

So you think it's never OK to attack a media product?

There are quite a few differences between what I'm saying and the rightist attack on rock 'n' roll:

1. I'm not saying MTV should be banned.

2. The product emanates from the corporate boardroom, not from Chuck Berry and Little Richard.

3. The product actually is destructive of childhood, and is _intentionally and planned_ to be so. The marketing strategy is to make late adolescence seem like Nirvana, and to draw everybody, including 11-year-olds, into aspiring to it, which, of course, requires purchase of its accoutrements and replication of its supposedly authentic attitudes.

4. Rock 'n' roll is largely about freedom and individuality and pleasure. MTV Spring Break is a means of behavioral programming.

5. Dude, check it out. Would you let your 11-year-old watch this? Are you happy that Viacom/CBS is targeting him/her with this stuff? http://www.mtv.com/onair/spring_break/2004/zoomify/index.jhtml

Peace, md

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 9:38 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Corporate Porn to Kids