[lbo-talk] Corporate Porn to Kids

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Tue Mar 23 10:42:49 PST 2004

At 12:38 PM 3/23/2004, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Michael Dawson -PSU wrote:
>
>>Have you who are protesting ignorance and shock at Nader's phrase been
>>watching MTV? Try a little dose of that, especially during their Spring
>>Break beach parties, and put yourself in loco parentis to an 11-year-old.
>>"Corporate pornography directed at children" is a precise definition of this
>>exploitative atrocity. (And please don't spout back the MTV party line that
>>their target audience is 18-34. BS. It's 8-22.)

hey hey hey. one of my son's 11 y.o. friends once copped to getting a woody when i made oatmeal raisin cookies.

>Man, you sound like one of those 50s preachers, denouncing rock & roll as
>the devil's music.
>
>Doug

I will fess up to being blissfully unaware of what's on MTV lately. I haven't had seen it about 6 yrs, only tuned in recently. More often than not, now that we have it, he flips it to sports. I think the other night, he flipped it to Family Business (Seymour Butts' Reality TV show and made some comment about how outrageous it was and we laughed about something or other. I'll have to ask when he gets back in from shooting hoops.)

And, I will fess up to finding it troubling that 15 y.o.'s were standing out near the highway in bikinis lately, trying to get cars to stop for a fund raising car wash. But I can't honestly figure out what I thought odd about that-- need to ponder. I think it's because, the school has a dance team that performs very sexually explicit routines at half time. Yet, I watch and think: Hmmm. They don't really know how to use their bodies sexually yet. They're stilted, uncoordinated, and uncomfortable looking when they shake their booty and shimmy their casabas. The movements are clearly choreographed and they seem so distant from their bodies that I wonder if they'll ever be able to be really aware of their own bodies enough to understand that they're supposed to move with the rhythm, not with the dance pattern cemented into their brain.

Speaking of dancing on MTV: WooHoo! NEWS: My son recently attended a rap concert. MTV was filming concert footage for a video. The producer singled him out, "Yo, lookat that white boy groovin'!" So, they filmed him doing the crip walk and the harlem shuffle a few times for the MTV video!

This is why his friends call him crig or criggah (sorry Charles! but that's what they call him!).

I'm surprised at your questions Dawson. Has someone, in their 'plaints about Nader, said that they don't have crits of MTV/media products? that they don't support public funding of alternatives? Why assume that whoever doesn't agree with you on one point must, therefore, disagree with you on these others?

also, so what if someone lets their kid watch MTV?

Also, couldn't MTV and the like promote the the destruction of childhood (as you describe it) without shaking booties and shimmying cassabas?

That said, people's status as a parent is really irrelevant. By bringing it into the equation, you make it about eacho f our parenting skills. It's perfectly possible for someone without kids to take your position without ever having kids and it's just as possible for someone to disagree with you if they have kids.

Kelley