[lbo-talk] Does Trade With China Matter?

jjlassen at chinastudygroup.org jjlassen at chinastudygroup.org
Tue Mar 23 13:53:53 PST 2004

Well, I certainly don't agree with the 'vulgar Luddite' tendencies of Sale as shown in that interview. He's appears to still be stuck thinking he's battling with (a reified concept of) 'technology.'

"It took both time and experience before the workpeople learnt to distinguish between machinery and its employment by capital, and to direct their attacks, not against the material instruments of production, but against the mode in which they are used." KM

But both Sale and Nobel (and Thompson too) are useful for busting the Luddite myth:

"No doubt he is far from denying that temporary inconvenience may result from the capitalist use of machinery. But where is the medal without its reverse! Any employment of machinery, except by capital, is to him an impossibility. Exploitation of the workman by the machine is therefore, with him, identical with exploitation of the machine by the workman. Whoever, therefore, exposes the real state of things in the capitalistic employment of machinery, is against its employment in any way, and is an enemy of social progress! Exactly the reasoning of the celebrated Bill Sykes. "Gentlemen of the jury, no doubt the throat of this commercial traveller has been cut. But that is not my fault, it is the fault of the knife. Must we, for such a temporary inconvenience, abolish the use of the knife? Only consider! where would agriculture and trade be without the knife? Is it not as salutary in surgery, as it is knowing in anatomy? And in addition a willing help at the festive board? If you abolish the knife — you hurl us back into the depths of barbarism." KM

Cheers,

Jonathan

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP: http://horde.org/imp/