[lbo-talk] Re: Corporate Porn to Kids

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Tue Mar 23 15:32:31 PST 2004

You're asserting lots of things,
> with what evidence?

MTV Spring Break programming, which is repeated often.

Why is watching MTV any worse than other forms of
> entertainment?

Are you saying all entertainment is equal?

What's uniquely damaging about sexual content?

I say Postman's view is pretty much correct. I also agree with Max Sawicky. It just feels wrong, until it feels right, which is not at age 11.

If kids
> aren't ready for sexual stimulation, don't they just shrug it off?

Yes, if it's encountered in a neutral, normal way. No, if it's marketed by an operation like Viacom. Have you walked past a junior high lately?

> And once they are ready, they can't think of much else, as I recall
> sixth grade.

I'm not arguing for repression. I'm arguing that MTV is a bad cultural influence that deserves to be exposed and scorned.

> We're sorta back where we were when you joined the list. You think
> that people are manipulated by corporations into feeling desires that
> they wouldn't otherwise feel. I think things are a lot more
> complicated than that.

Do you think people are not manipulated into doing things they wouldn't otherwise do? I'm not blaming MTV for horny teenagers. I'm blaming MTV for exploiting horny teenagers, and trying to manufacture horny pre-teens.

I don't contend that corporations are the source of all greed and evil. I contend that they are the source of some greed and evil, and that the greed and evil they promote is harmful and should be understood and opposed.

People like gadgets and fashion, and they
> think about sex a lot. Kids are often very sexual creatures, though
> it makes adults nervous to think about that.

Of course. Does that legitimize MTV? I think not. If you think so, we just disagree, I guess.