[lbo-talk] Re: Corporate Porn to Kids

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Mar 23 18:56:02 PST 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Luke Weiger wrote:

> Michael Dawson wrote:
>
> > So you dismiss the charges against MTV? Why? Is it OK with you to have
> > 11-year-olds beinvited to watch drunken college kids engaging in public
> > foreplay? Why?
>
> Why shouldn't it be OK? Personally, I hope my kids (if I ever have any)
> will have more interesting things to do than watching MTV, but I wouldn't
> worry about their minds getting poisoned by "public foreplay."
>
> -- Luke

The research on mass media is quite clear on this: if there is a discernable problem, it's the widespread representation of violence without consequence in the mass media. Sexual representations have few or no negative consequences, compared to the measurable impact of violent mass media on everyday thought and behavior. It's interesting to me that Ralph's more worked up about the sex stuff rather than the well documented negative effects of violent mass media.

Miles