[lbo-talk] Re: March 20, 2004, Columbus, OH: A Day That Will Live In Infamy

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 24 09:06:11 PST 2004

http://www.newint.org/issue145/mask.htm

Second, black activists have argued that multiculturalism is being used by the State against the united resistance of black people. Ethnicity has divided ‘black’ into Asian, Afro-Caribbean and African, and has slotted these into cultural containers which have nothing to do with the long and rich history of resistance made by black people in their mutual struggles against colonialism and racism in Britain. The ‘culture’ of multiculturalism has all the dynamism of a museum piece, to be preserved and wondered at, no matter how out of kilter with current social and economic reality. The customs and folkways which pass here for ‘culture’ are frozen out of time and place, stereotyped for white comprehension, and thus rendered harmless.