[lbo-talk] Walmart

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Wed Mar 24 10:12:54 PST 2004

Many years ago I was employed at an optical manufacturing facility that was purchased by Wal-Mart. The first change they implemented, other than replacing the senior manager with an inexperienced kid who was basically a Wal-Mart cheerleader, was to begin a heavy pro Wal-Mart propaganda program. Meetings about how much they gave to the United Way (mostly through employee contributions), allowing fund raisers to use their unused parking lot space, sob stories of some employee whose hardships allegedly ended with being hired by Wal-Mart, etc. I quit not too long after the buy-out mostly because I couldn't take the new attitude. Anyone critical of Wal-Mart was either fired, made part-time so they seek employment elsewhere, or given shit work until they left. The company goes out of its way to generate good will towards itself on a level I have never experienced before or since. There is a good chance that a member of management or a stooge for management who will report back attended that meeting. Anyone looking for a promotion at Wal-Mart knows that attending this meeting and defending Wal-Mart will go a long way towards helping that goal. At the very least it will be considered in their next round of raises. I don't doubt that many of their employees are grateful for the job, it beats being unemployed. Wal-Mart does a good job in hiring too. They don't waste their time hiring anyone who may question the work environment they have created. I think it's tough for most people to hate their workplace in an environment like Wal-Mart. Everyone is too disposable and they know it. It's not like a union job or skilled profession where you may be kept on if you're good at your job but a little difficult to get along with. Almost every job at Wal-Mart is interchangeable with another as are the associates who do them, at least at the store level, but frequently at the lower end of the corporate level. Wal-Mart really pushes "associates" to participate in the profit sharing plan. This makes many of the employees feel empowered as part owners and they consider their fate as intertwined even more tightly with the company. The optical facility was a new experience for Wal-Mart. They couldn't fire and easily replace experienced manufacturing personnel like they could most of their associates. Management was and still is a revolving door job there but many of the most experienced employees there have mixed feelings towards Wal-Mart but keep their mouths shut. Anyone who even says the "U" word is immediately terminated however so that lesson was taught to employees really quickly. If you've never experienced an associate meeting with the compulsory Wal-Mart cheer you're missing out on one of the joys of life. If you've never been to Bentonville AR to see the pro Wal-Mart attitude of an entire town you're also missing out. I doubt Chico has anything on Bentonville or Fayetteville.

John Thornton