[lbo-talk] Emma v Ralph

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Wed Mar 24 15:37:02 PST 2004

On Wednesday, March 24, 2004, at 09:28 AM, Michael Pugliese quoted Alix Kate Shulman as saying:

> Sometime early in 1973 I received a phone call from one Jack Frager,
> an old-time anarchist who worked in the anarchist center at 339
> Lafayette Street in Lower Manhattan

What a wonderful old comrade Jack was! I remember a spirited discussion at that very address, a few years later, on whether to put the word "anarchist" on the outside of envelopes for a mailing.

Jack opposed doing so. Why?

"Because I have it on good information," Jack said, "that every postman in America works for the government."

It was a remarkably funny remark with a core of truth to it--whereas I have almost certainly gotten the quote wrong after all these years.

All the best,

John A