[lbo-talk] Air America Takeover of WLIB

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 16:29:15 PST 2004

Doug posted

http://www.sacobserver.com/news/032304/wlib_air_america_radio.shtml

from which -

"All of the talk should be organic, from within the Black community," Brath insisted. "How can they think about coming into New York with a package program like this? We have people here already who know radio, who can do shows. And they want to come in with a program from other people trying to talk to Black people in New York City? (WLIB) is just a station that has been stripped of what it's supposed to be!"

Well yes but it's a familiar model both in the obviously corporate radio world of Clear Channel et al and the thinly veiled as 'public' but really corporate broadcasting model of NPR and PBS.

My city, for example, hosts one of the major NPR/PBS outlets -- WHYY radio and television.

Although there's some amount of local programming, you're much more likely to see a soberly narrated documentary about the trials and tribulations of the Windsors of un-Merry Nu Britain than a program about the goings on in City Council, a group which meets about a fifteen minute walk from the station's multi-million dollar "media center" ('built with your loyal support -- Thanks").

Practically all of the programming is pushed from a center to the affiliates.

I don't know if the Air America folks are PBS or straight-up corporate media alumni (see link below for a listing of talent) but it's clear both conservative and liberal broadcasters -- at least at the ownership level -- are quite comfortable with the 'all roads lead from Rome' method of content creation and distribution.

DRM

Air America Program Listing -

<http://www.centralairmedia.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=11&Itemid=28 >