[lbo-talk] Sweeny letter to Wash Post regarding China trade sanctions

jjlassen at chinastudygroup.org jjlassen at chinastudygroup.org
Thu Mar 25 08:54:31 PST 2004

Act to Protect Chinese Workers http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A22400-2004Mar24.html

Thursday, March 25, 2004; Page A22

The Post's support for a presidential investigation into labor rights violations in China, as the AFL-CIO demanded in its recent trade petition, is welcome [editorial, "Trade and Labor Rights," March 22]. But The Post lacks the courage of its convictions, as it avoids the logical conclusion of its argument.

If, as the editorial concedes, China's violation of workers' rights actually prevents the free functioning of Chinese labor markets, then it is urgent, both for Chinese workers and workers around the world, that this situation be remedied.

Failing to address this situation distorts global trade and investment flows, rewarding reprehensible behavior and consequently punishing struggling democracies and industrialized countries.

Yet The Post counsels against taking any steps, such as imposing trade sanctions, that might force the Chinese government to rectify this situation.

China's growth and stability are extraordinarily dependent on access to our market, giving the United States considerable leverage. The Post should join us in demanding that the president enforce U.S. trade laws and insist that China comply with internationally recognized workers' rights or risk losing some access to our market.

JOHN J. SWEENEY

President

AFL-CIO

Washington