[lbo-talk] Noam's Blog Spammed

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Thu Mar 25 09:27:04 PST 2004

Yeah, the patridiots are out in force. From glancing at LGF (I had to scrub my hands and use eyewash afterwards) it looks like they're out to shut down Chomsky's comments section. I doubt they'll succeed--I suppose Z has enough bandwidth and diskspace.

Movable Type is terrific, but if Z wants some kind of real community in the weblogs, they should use Scoop, the software that Kuro5hin and Daily Kos use. No comments without being a member!

Regarding Chomsky's contributions to linguistics and related fields, I thought he was responsible for some basic results in automata theory as well--what type of automata will parse what sort of formal language. I understood his contributions were so basic, you couldn't have reliable parsers without them. It would be a wicked irony if all these wingnut coders were spamming the man who basically made their jobs possible....

As far as criticism of his linguistic work goes, its true that the old version of UG is gone, but its doubtful that the mouth breathers are capable of understanding the original theory, let alone the critique.

Curtiss

Dwayne Monroe: