[lbo-talk] Re: Dick Morris: Why Bush Will Win By A Landslide

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 25 12:09:59 PST 2004

Wojtek Sokolowski : "To summarize, this is a self-righteous and conservative country - and the Bushies know exploit that conservatism and self-righteousness to their own advantages. Therefore, anyone successfully labeled as "liberal" has even a slightest chance of being elected president - who whether we like it or not - is the ultimate father-of-the-nation figure for many Amrikuns."

No, absolutely not. Outside of pockets--and only pockets--of the South, the majority of Americans are political liberals. It's a very liberal country with a very conservative government, owing largely to media appeasement of the Revolutionary Power. Al Gore beat Bush II. Clinton beat Bush I. Clinton beat Dole. Huge numbers of Americans voted for Gore and Clinton because they thought they were more liberal than actually were.

The Republicans have not won a majority of the popular vote since 1988. The alleged jingoism and such of the American people is simply not there when you talk to the man on the street. I work among very conservative people, and I don't see it even among them.