[lbo-talk] IRA & ETA?

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Thu Mar 25 12:14:18 PST 2004

Don't know anything about the IRA and ETA but this reminds me of something else that's been on my mind...there WAS a lot of financial support for the IRA coming from the U.S. When I was growing up in Boston, middle-class housewives would have fundraising parties for the IRA. The whole phenomenon of comfortable middle-class Americans' considerable financial support for violence elsewhere is a fascinating one that I would love to explore further. Indian-Americans in suburban New Jersey are sending tons of $$ to far-right Hindu nationalists in India. Then there's the cash from many American Jews supporting the settlements. It seems people feel this sentimental attachment to nationalism but they don't want to put their own bodies on the line for it...so they send money, and never have to live in the hellish war zone that they're paying for! If people have other examples, please share.

Liza