[lbo-talk] Does Trade With China Matter?

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Thu Mar 25 13:08:40 PST 2004

Blame Asians"? Calling for the end of slave labor and imprisonment of union activists in China is not "blaming asians"; it's blaming US capitalists who collaborate with dictators in China to oppress the Chinese people and hurt US workers.

--really? if not, why don't many labor activists in asia support your position of pushing for withdrawls of trade w/ china? --------------------------------------- What I don't get is the kneejerk defense of one of the most reprehensible regimes in global history, one that is mixing the worst policies of capitalist economic oppression with Stalinist political repression.

--what an odd response, now even Doug is a 'defender' of China's ruling class...bizarre tactics you engage in. People raise legitimate counter arguments to your assessments of the stats on trade w/ china and its impact on american workers and you just retort with "aha!! you're a defender of the rulers in China!"....

----------------------------------- in close association with US capitalists and the US government, are also fucking the working class, suddenly it is implied that you are some kind of xenophobe or racist. I really resent that crap.

--uhm, no, but you are working hand in hand with some pretty ugly xenophobes to push such a policy. Lassen and I can, on the other hand, point to a good number of real life left labor activists on both sides of teh taiwan straits who agree with us...people who risk jail to fight the regimes you claim we support.