[lbo-talk] Re: Dick Morris: Why Bush Will Win By A Landslide

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 25 14:24:28 PST 2004

Dear List:

Woj writes:

> To summarize, this is a self-righteous and conservative country - and the Bushies know exploit that conservatism and self-righteousness to their own advantages. Therefore, anyone successfully labeled as
"liberal" has even a slightest chance of being elected president - who whether we like it or not - is the ultimate father-of-the-nation figure for many Amrikuns.

I do not think I completely agree. I think a very visible part of the population is self-righteous and conservative, but as Philip K. Dick wrote: "The existence of a majority logically implies a corresponding minority."

In terms of popular vote, the "liberal" candidate won the last three presidential elections. I spent the weekend with my father (it was his 82nd birthday) and he believes that if the election were held today Kerry would win and he voted for Bush last time around. He is also against abortion (becasue he is Catholic), but wants to see me and my husband be able to wed and will come to the wedding.

My husband who is from South Carolina says there is growing discontent there over Bush and the lack of jobs.

In my view, we are a diverse nation with an abundance of fault lines that cut every which way. Look at the Republicans -- economic conservatives, social liberals, libertarians, and social conservatives all claiming a "Republican" identity.

Part of the problem is the Electoral College which distorts the voting patterns of people. Hence you get these huge parties that have to run in 50 states.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister