[lbo-talk] RE: Walmart

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Thu Mar 25 19:31:08 PST 2004

I have never been able to identify with my oppressors, with the result that my work day is more frustrating, conflicted, and stressful than that of people who do. I don't blame them. I understand that there's only so much pain and humiliation that a lot of people can stand.

Moreover, I can understand that since work takes up a great part of our lives, we want to do "a good job" -- particularly if we think in terms of the people we "serve" rather than the people who exploit us. When I write a computer manual, I think of the poor engineer who has to plow through 900 pages to understand something and get it to work. I try to work for him/her rather than for the company who employs and pays me and who would still pay me even if I weren't doing what I call a good job.

Joanna