[lbo-talk] IRA & ETA ?

" Chris Doss " nomorebounces at mail.ru
Fri Mar 26 02:10:35 PST 2004

Come now, I don't think the NorAid of old or the -- to my mind -- honorable Irish-American support for the United Irishmen, Fenianism, Sinn Fein, et. al., deserves to be placed in the same camp as "Yankee Hindutva," Wahhabi and Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood involvement in US mosques, or US Zionism. - - - - - John Lacny -- To what extent were/are the Irish being oppressed? Discriminated against? Unbearably taxed? These aren't rhetorical questions, I really am ignorant.

As an aside, when I lived in San Diego about a decade ago, there was an Irish bar that was widely rumoured as sending funds to the IRA.

As far as I can see sitting here and reading about a tangentially related subject from Moscow, the greatest support for Chechen independence seems to come from non-Chechens in the Muslim world and the Chechen Diaspora in Jordan. Actually even Maskhadov, according to Zakayev, seems to have given up on the idea of independence, which makes you wonder what the hell he's fighting for (the right to have a position in the Chechen government is my guess. Ramzan Kadyrov has said Maskhadov would be acceptable as a minister...).