[lbo-talk] von Mises guy on 9/11 commish

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 26 10:21:12 PST 2004

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
><http://www.mises.org/fullstory.asp?control=1479>
>
>Counterterrorism (by Government) is Impossible
>by Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.
>
>[Posted March 26, 2004]...
>
>Clarke believes Iraq was a distraction, and he is surely right. He also
>believes that more should have been done sooner to counter genuine
>terrorist threats, that the attacks on Afghanistan should have taken place
>earlier, that Bin Laden should have been taken out earlier, that the
>military and the spooks should have taken more liberties in zapping the bad
>guys before the bad guys zapped us.
>
>The solution implied in this approach is something no American should
>favor. It implies not less warmongering but merely a different form of
>imperialism, focused on one country instead of another, this set of
>intelligence data instead of that, while not even addressing the question
>of why the US might be the subject of attacks at all. It is even possible
>that more Clarkeian-style counterterrorism would have inspired more attacks
>sooner, but we'll never know since there are no controlled experiments in
>the relationship between politics and the real world.

Precisely. Richard Clarke deserves hosannas as a genuine perhaps even mortal threat to the Bush presidency. But there's no question that at the end of the day Clarke is just another demented, troublemaking spook who should be under heavy sedation far from any position of power.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Get tax tips, tools and access to IRS forms – all in one place at MSN Money! http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/home.asp