[lbo-talk] Walmart

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Fri Mar 26 11:52:02 PST 2004

At 05:30 PM 3/25/2004, Charles Brown wrote:

>With all our contemplation of self-oppression, by now we want to express
>hypotheses on how someone can be deprogrammed from being a Wal-Mart Happy
>Slave.

Describing people as slaves, dupes, programmed.... is exactly what I object to. It's definitely what doug is objecting to when he criticizes people for assuming that tv viewers are like sponges, uncritically sucking up whatever they view.

> Are there any interviews or studies of ex-members of the Wal-Mart
>cult, who turned themselves around ?

What turned you around? :) Geddit yet?

>But am I being unfair in that they may
>be more like sports fans side than cultmembers ? And in fact more practical
>than sports fans even. They are not acting irrationally !

I'm not sure since I'm uncertain as to the distinction you're drawing.

I'm a sports fan. My son barely got to play this year because of an injury and then a life-threatening illness (he's fine now). Nonetheless, I was probably one of the biggest cheerleaders at all the games. I probably cheered more than our lazy-ass cheerleaders! :) This probably has to do with a stint as a cheerleader and, later, as water girl for the football team, but unlike many other parents, I had no qualms about Wahooing in the stands, leading everyone in the stomp down during a free throw, harassing the refs, and just generally yelling myself hoarse, encouraging the kids. Indeed, it was my willingness to embarrass my old fart ass that encouraged them to start doing more of the same. Dang! I couldn't believe it! They didn't realize how important it was to the kids that we were there yelling and screaming for them!

:) So, what crappy things do you want to say about fans?
*ssssmmaaaaaaaOOOOOOOch*

>Practically speaking , people need jobs (" 2 cents in yer pocket ")

She was using a cute expression for "my two cents."

>Perhaps some trade unions could establish networks of ex-Wal-Mart workers.
>There might not be a large number, but those most aggrieved might constitute
>a core group. Some left academic researchers might initiate it (carefully
>avoiding studying Walmarters like animals in a zoo !),

Who needs to study why workers work or enjoy their jobs if they should be able to look at their own lives and figure it out?! Unless, of course, you think of yourself and your job as so superior and special that you can't imagine that they are motivated by the very same things you are.

Geddit yet? :)

Kelley