[lbo-talk] 'shillin' with Al Franken

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Mar 26 14:30:19 PST 2004

Joseph Wanzala:

> The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand
them
> - Lennie Bruce

Lenny.

> The proper alternative to rightwing talk radio is good talk radio, not Al
> Franken making jokes that only a member of Move On could enjoy. The
> difference between the great leftists humorists of the past - Mort Sahl,
> Lennie Bruce and the like - and the Franken types of today is that the
> former were (a) funny, (b) not shills for the Democratic Party. - SAM

Back in his old "Saturday Night Live" days, Franken, then teamed with Tom Davis, was very funny, and the pair did bits on national TV that were "brought to you by the Communist Party -- The Shah's not our friend" (graphic of a happy family gathered under a hammer and sickle). In one bit, Franken & Davis, as communist revolutionaries, called for the violent overthrow of the US government ("Thank you! Thank you very much!"), and in order to undermine the false morality of the capitalist state, they showed "porno for TV." Thing is, even then Franken was a Dem shill, working for Mo Udall in '76. But his comedy was anything but straight Dem jibes. That isn't the case anymore.

DP